Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
The Sterling Group, a private equity firm located in Houston, Texas, seeks Associates to assist in originating, analyzing and executing buyout transactions. Founded in 1982, The Sterling Group targets controlling interests in basic manufacturing, industrial services and distribution companies. Typical enterprise values of these companies range from $100 million to $500 million. Sterling has sponsored the buyout of 41 platform companies and numerous add-on acquisitions for a total transaction value greater than $9.5 billion. Currently, Sterling has $1.3 billion of committed capital under management through three funds, including Sterling Group Partners III, L.P.
The Associate position will be primarily responsible for industry research, competitive analysis, financial statement analysis and financial modeling for potential transactions. In addition, the Associate will assist in the execution of transactions through interaction with financing sources, attorneys, accountants, consultants, etc. Our program is designed to give intellectually curious and self-motivated Associates a well-rounded apprenticeship at a successful middle market private equity firm.
Qualifications include an undergraduate degree from a top-tier university and a minimum of two years of analytical experience with an investment bank, private equity firm, consulting firm, or national accounting firm. The primary skills needed to be successful in this position are:
Analytical skills including:
-The ability to understand a company’s business, competitive position and the market in which it competes.
-The ability to analyze and thoroughly understand financial statements.
-A basic understanding of GAAP accounting practices and corporate taxation.
-The ability to model, synthesize and analyze data using Excel.
-Research skills including:
-The ability to work with sell-side Analysts and procure written research.
-The ability to proactively solicit information from industry participants.
Communication skills including:
-The ability to quickly summarize the merits of a potential transaction in both written and verbal form.
-The ability to interact with management teams, financing sources and service providers to analyze and execute transactions.
Administrative skills including:
-Taking responsibility for the administrative details of a transaction.
-The ability to effectively monitor and execute multiple assignments simultaneously.