Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
The Sterling Group is an operationally focused middle market private equity firm focused on the industrial sector. Founded in 1982, Sterling is one of the longest standing private equity firms in North America. Today the firm has over $4.0 billion in assets under management. Over 75% of Sterling’s returns have been driven by organic EBITDA growth, a result of Sterling’s operational investing style. Sterling’s investor base is comprised by some of the largest and most respected global institutional investors.
The Associate position will be primarily responsible for industry research, competitive analysis, supplier dynamics and outlook for potential transactions. In addition, the Associate will assist in theme development, exit preparation and analysis of value creation initiatives. This would be a two year program designed to give a well-rounded apprenticeship at a successful middle market private equity firm. This role would work closely with the deal team and interaction with our management team around value creation projects.
Qualifications include an undergraduate degree from a top-tier university and a minimum of two years of analytical experience with a consulting firm. The primary skills needed to be successful in this position are:
- Analytical skills including:
- The ability to understand a company’s business, competitive position and the market in which it competes
- The ability to analyze and thoroughly understand competitive landscape, customer dynamics, supplier’s dynamics
- The ability to synthesize and analyze data using Excel
- The ability to review M&A targets for platform or add-ons and conduct complete commercial diligence
- Research skills including:
- The ability to work review third party resources and procure written research
- The ability to proactively solicit information from industry experts
- The ability to synthesis all of the different resources and present to the deal team
- Communication skills including:
- The ability to quickly summarize the merits of a potential transaction in both written and verbal form
- The ability to interact with management teams, financing sources and service providers to analyze and create a summary presentation
- The ability to interact with third party consultants
- Project Management skills including:
- The ability to effectively monitor and execute multiple assignments simultaneously
- The ability to manage all of the diligence activities related to commercial, industry expert calls, surveys, etc.
- Managing with the deal team theme development creation and research for deal sourcing
- Managing third party consultants as appropriate