Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
Artisan Design Group
Headquartered, in Coppell, Texas, Artisan Design Group (“ADG”) is a leading interior finishes company, providing design, procurement, installation and quality control services for flooring, cabinets, countertops and complementary products for homebuilders and property managers. Artisan was formed in December 2016 through the simultaneous acquisition of Floors Inc. and Malibu Floors and has since then completed fourteen additional acquisitions. With 16 entities operating across 22 states, more than 90 distribution, design and service facilities, 1,650 employees, and over 1,550 independent contractors, ADG is committed to partnering with the best entrepreneurs in the industry to create a business that is the interior finishes dealer of choice for both its customers and suppliers.
Director of M&A
The Director of M&A is primarily responsible for executing on add-on acquisitions for the company. This entails performing all tasks related to due diligence and transaction execution. The Director of M&A also assists in identifying and prioritizing attractive acquisition prospects. The position reports to the CEOs and works closely with the CFO and the Sterling Group.
- Assist in identifying appropriate acquisition opportunities that support ADG’s strategic priorities through interaction with business leaders, entrepreneurs, investment bankers and organic pipeline generation.
- Aid the sourcing process by preparing and maintaining the acquisition pipeline document for delivery to CEO, executive team and the Board.
- Prepare briefing and discussion materials about in-process M&A transactions to the CEO and the Board.
- Draft, evaluate and summarize confidential information memoranda, term sheets, purchase agreements, financial statements, and other related materials.
- Research industry participants and competitive landscape.
- Lead the due diligence process by conducting thorough investigations of business, financial, managerial, operational and technological aspects of the target companies.
- Synthesize information gathered during the due diligence process into a fully functional pro forma model including impact on financial covenants and cash flows.
- Work with CFO in supporting the financing of the transaction.
- In partnership with the selling management team, develop realistic budget forecasts for the current and near-term fiscal years.
- Act as deal quarterback to bring together cross functional teams and assist Integration Management Office in sizing synergy estimates and planning of post-acquisition integration.
- Drive process improvements and memorialize best practices/lessons learned for acquisition sourcing, diligence and execution.
The preceding responsibilities and functions are representative of the primary focus for this position. The operating environment will be very dynamic and responsibilities may also change and evolve over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics or a quantitative discipline
- At least 5 years of experience executing on M&A transactions
- Proven track record of effectively dealing with small privately owned businesses, building long-term and trusting relationships
- Prior experience with PE-owned companies is beneficial but not required
- Proven project and transaction process management skills
- Significant experience with financial analysis and company valuation
- Adept in standard office software tools, especially MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
- Strong presentation and report-writing skills
- Solid understanding of corporate finance
- Highly motivated, creative and flexible in getting a deal to the finish line
- Ability to engage with middle/senior management to understand needs, communicate findings
- Sharp mind with strong analytical and numeric skills, proficient in financial modeling and analysis
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to establish and maintain collaborative work relationships within the company as well as with external business partners
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects in a timely manner. Highly organized.
- Thrives in a high pressure and fast changing environment
- Excellent observation, questioning and listening skills
- Team oriented and able to work across the business and in different cultures
- Highly motivated and innovative