Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
Fencing Supply Group (FSG) was formed in 2021, through the combined acquisition of two leading independent fencing distribution companies – Merchants Metals and Binford Supply. FSG businesses serve professional fencing contractors who provide new, improvement, and repair fencing services across residential, industrial, commercial, and infrastructure end markets. Similar to other distribution businesses the Sterling group has worked with, the vision for FSG is to continue to build scale on the FSG platform through organic and M&A growth, allowing FSG to make strategic investments in new products, new locations, supply chain and other areas for the benefits of the Company’s customers, suppliers and employees.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director, Financial Planning & Analysis is a proven financial and organizational leader, designing and executing the management reporting and financial planning processes for Fencing Supply Group through rich and thorough analysis and metrics to track performance and drive results.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads and coordinates the budgeting, long term planning, and annual forecasting processes for the company, consolidating inputs from multiple divisions.
- Generates consolidated financial reporting to executive management, board of directors, and financial sponsor.
- Develops synchronized consolidated reporting and/or dashboards as bolt-on acquisitions are executed across disparate ERPs, COAs and reporting processes to produce cohesive analysis.
- Serves as project manager for various M&A processes, including due diligence work streams and integration of new acquisitions into financial consolidation software and corporate reporting and planning processes.
- Manages daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly management reporting cadence, providing valuable insights and analytics to management for strategic decision making.
- Supports enterprise valuation analyses, stock option pricing, and financial analysis of management long term incentive plans.
- Analyzes viability of proposed growth, restructuring and capital investment projects.
- Proactively identifies opportunities to optimize FP&A processes, enhance reporting tools and maintains operational excellence while complying with accounting, governance, and internal control policies.
NECESSARY SKILLS, BACKGROUND & COMPETENCIES:
- Outstanding communication and leadership skills, including building rapport with direct reports as well as with financial and business leaders across divisions
- Ability to consider the “big picture”, including all stakeholders to anticipate data needs and proactively find solutions
- High tolerance for ambiguity in a fast-paced, highly acquisitive environment
- Strong data analytical skills with strong mathematical and systems skills
- Demonstrated superior problem-solving abilities
- High energy self-starter with a strong drive for results
- Ability to develop strong, trusting relationships with leaders across the business
- Ability to work both remotely and in an office, plus travel periodically (10%-20%) as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or other quantitative discipline
- Master’s Degree or CPA license preferred
- 10+ years in corporate finance, preferably in manufacturing or distribution industries
- Private Equity portfolio company experience preferred
- Experience with integration of acquisitions into corporate reporting structure