Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
The Sterling Group is seeking a detail oriented and self-motivated Tax Manager to join our team! The Tax Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will oversee domestic and international tax compliance and reporting for The Sterling Group, its affiliated management companies and private equity funds. This position will drive tax initiatives including technical support and continuous improvement of processes.
We are a small group of highly motivated professionals dedicated to creating exceptional companies and being the best in class. If you are looking for a dynamic, growing firm where you can use your talents, we would love to hear from you! Our office environment is highly professional with executives who care about your well-being and invest in your professional growth. As part of a small team you will work closely with upper management in an active role to drive improvements and maintain integrity of our processes and procedures. This role is a great opportunity for the right person looking to advance their career with a wonderful company.
Tax Transaction and Investment Execution Matters:
- Serve as liaison for tax-related requests from internal and external parties.
- Coordinate with tax advisors to ensure proper accounting of transactions.
- Document investment specific technical and compliance issues and reporting positions.
- Perform research and documentation on federal and state tax issues as arise from fund investments, restructurings, and fund level structuring.
Tax Risk Management:
- Research and examine solutions to complex foreign and domestic tax issues.
- Oversee fund specific tax policies, identify potential risk areas, and engage with tax advisers.
- Develop technical policies including, but not limited to: tax guidelines documentation and compliance, tax structuring and tax memos.
- Review documentation of advice and positions and assist with monitoring compliance with policies to mitigate risks.
Tax Compliance Matters:
- Review Big 4 service providers’ work for year-end k-1s and tax returns (1065s & 1120s) to ensure accurate and timely tax reporting to fund LPs.
- Oversee and coordinate collection of tax data from portfolio companies.
- Review service providers’ work for fund and portfolio company estimated tax payments
- Review and approve any required federal and state tax payments.
- Determine tax filing requirements for partnership and corporate fund entities.
- Prepare quarterly estimates for management companies and reporting to partners
- Review tax allocations of partnership income.
- Review tax provisions for blocker corporations.
- Identify and review state withholding tax requirements relating to state income allocation to nonresident recipients.
- Respond to tax authority requests & notices.
- Review investor reporting, including, but not limited to: gain calculations, E&P calculations, dividend withholding, tax credits, CFCs, foreign reporting matters such as PFICs, forms 8865 and 926, income accruals, ECI, UBTI matters.
- Assist in state tax issues including state nexus issues, state tax withholding for fund entities, working with tax advisors, accordingly.
- Ensure international filings are completed and managed appropriately.
- Ensure compliance with FATCA and CRS policies, procedures, and reporting requirements.
- Ensure timely preparation and finalization of W-9/W-8 forms and WFP applications, as required.
- Respond to Limited Partners’ and Co-investor’s tax inquiries and tax information needs.
- Manage 1099 reporting for various entities.
- 6 years minimum of Big 4 tax experience in private equity and investment partnerships
- Accounting or Tax degree from an accredited university
- Master’s degree in Tax preferred, CPA is a plus
- Must have relevant tax experience with concentration in domestic partnerships. Corporate tax experience is a plus.
- Highest degree of personal integrity, judgment, and professional ethics.
- Tech savvy and able to enhance use of systems.
- Ability to produce timely and accurate records, with an emphasis on the importance of supporting work paper documentation.
- Strong work ethic and the ability to work independently and as part of the team to proactively identify and resolve issues.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to work with complex data to drive decision-making.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail, organized and methodical.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced and dynamic culture, with the ability to take initiative and be hands-on.
- Ability to handle multiple demands, competing priorities, and constant change in a deadline driven environment.
- Excellent oral, interpersonal, and written communication skills.