Who we are
Build winning companies to deliver superior returns to our investors.
Acquire good businesses and partner with management to drive fundamental improvement.
Our core competencies
- Continuous Improvement
- Lean, collaborative team, working directly with Partners and senior management
- Successful track record resulting in exciting growth
- 6 out of 7 current Partners started as associates or Vice Presidents at Sterling
- Resources Group, comprised of subject matter experts in Human Capital, Operations, Commercial, Strategy, Technology, and M&A, are members of deal teams and help drive improvements at portfolio companies
- Hands on investing model resulting in deep engagement with our portfolio companies
- We believe in long term partnership and collaboration
- Relentless, firm-wide commitment to continuous improvement
- We say "we" more than "I"
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Passionate about building winning businesses
Reports to EVP Manufacturing & Supply Chain
Remote / Houston, Dallas, Atlanta
Fencing Supply Group (FSG) was formed in 2021, through the combined acquisition of two leading independent fencing distribution companies – Merchants Metals and Binford Supply. FSG businesses serve professional fencing contractors who provide new, improvement, and repair fencing services across residential, industrial, commercial, and infrastructure end markets. Similar to other distribution businesses the Sterling group has worked with, the vision for FSG is to continue to build scale on the FSG platform through organic and M&A growth, allowing FSG to make strategic investments in new products, new locations, supply chain and other areas for the benefits of the Company’s customers, suppliers and employees.
This role will be responsible for developing and executing the procurement and category management strategies for FSG. This role will advise and execute based on deep subject matter expertise in Procurement and category management. This role will proactively identify opportunities, working with other executives to establish category strategies, developing a category management process, establishing targets and executing on achievement of those objectives. The role requires actively engaging and partnering with senior business stakeholders, finance, operations and supply chain across all of FSG. Establish effective working relationships with local and regional procurement and purchasing to ensure alignment and the full realization of the benefits of the identified opportunities and improvement initiatives.
This leader will drive a culture of continuous improvement. In addition, this individual will be dynamic and innovative, and one who deploys an energetic day-to-day “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Accountable for the creation and application of the long-term Category Strategy, a category management process, and the development of an annual pipeline of strategic category initiatives to drive financial and operational impact at the Company.
- Leading a team of procurement professionals located across the US to drive results such as relevant cost reduction in a proactive and strongly result-oriented manner.
- Ensuring a robust approach to supplier management, establishing value creation targets and reporting of supplier performance, developing innovation programs, managing supplier risks and conducting regular business reviews.
- Effectively communicates strategies, results, and metrics to leadership teams as required.
- Develops contract strategies and effectively negotiates key commercial and supply positions to the benefit the business requirements and goals.
- Develops, aligns, and drives strategic projects to improve procurement processes and tools.
- Leads and promotes the Category Management Process to supports sales and share growth while delivering leveraged gross profit growth.
- Collects and synthesizes insights from different sources to develop category strategies while also taking appropriate action to develop a relevant national, regional, and local assortment.
- Drive a superior customer experience by being aligned with the right suppliers, making sure they perform at the highest level, FSG’s product knowledge, and technical skill, placing the right assortment where customers need it.
- Collaborates and aligns with Sourcing partners on the most effective sourcing approach.
- Identify and champion the development of products for inclusion as assortment
enhancement/innovation, and support suppliers through the process to ensure execution.
- Synthesize market trends and leads plan for go-to-market product penetration and
- Engage supplier broker networks for additional resources to enable field execution and
- Support the onboarding of new acquisitions into the FSG category management process,
including access to a relevant assortment, access to FSG supplier contracts, onboarding to
relevant purchasing processes/tools, and achievement of procurement synergies.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Supply Chain, Business, Engineering, Industrial
Distribution or related field required.
- +10 years related experience, with 5 years of category management, product management
or merchandising experience within the Building product industry.
- Experience managing procurement and sourcing negotiations with strategic and nonstrategic
- Experience with global sourcing a plus.
- Must possess a proven track record of leading direct and/or indirect associates.
- Excellent communication and project management skills with an ability to lead and
coordinate cross-functional teams and deliver complex strategic initiatives, in a truly
fluid, interactive environment.
- Proven financial and business acumen and capability in negotiation, change management
and stakeholder management.
- Experience with a distributed workforce across many locations.
- Travel will be required for this role.
- Demonstrated leadership, strong personal presence, demonstrates initiative, is results-oriented,
and acts with a sense of urgency.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- High drive for results and discipline in execution.
- Possess strong problem-solving skills related to people and processes.